In this short guide, we will walk you through the basics of creating a collaboration agreement. Let's get started!
What is a collaboration agreement?
A collaboration agreement is a document that is more complex than a split sheet. Like a split sheet, it lists all of the people that are involved in the creation of a copyright (your content) and what percentage of the copyright they each own. Additionally, it also outlines extremely important details such as which collaborators are allowed to license your content on your behalf, who may use your name and likeness, how disputes should be handled, indemnification and more.
How to create a collaboration agreement:
1) Login to your Cosynd account and click on "New Agreement" on your dashboard.
2) Tell us what kind of copyright this agreement will cover.
3) Provide the title of your copyright and choose a more specific copyright type.
Read more about work types:
4) Tell us who you have created your copyright with. Organize yourself and your collaborators into a new team or select an existing team you've worked with before.
Read more about teams and collaborators:
- What is a team?
- How do I create a new team?
- Who should I add to my team?
- How do I add a collaborator to my team?
- Can someone sign on behalf of a company?
- How do I change a collaborator's details?
5) Select "Collaboration Agreement" from the options below.
Read more about agreement types:
6) Give your agreement a name.
7) Enter the information we need to complete the copyright splits section of your agreement.
Click on each of your collaborator's names to enter the percentage of the copyright(s) that they will own as well as the type of ownership that they will have. The total of the splits must equal 100%.
- If you plan on working with a particular collaborator frequently you can assign a default split to them by checking the "default" box. By doing so, you won't have to enter this information again whenever you work with that collaborator.
- If you are creating this agreement for a musical composition and you would like to add a publisher, publisher share, or a performing rights society click on "Add a publisher/society."
- How do I add a publisher or society?
- What is a publisher?
- What is a publisher's share?
- What is a society?
8) We'll walk you through customizing your agreement - just answer a few questions for us. You can follow along by viewing how your choices affect the actual agreement text instantly!
- Click to complete each tab of questions. Your answers will be used to build the terms of the agreement that will be proposed to your collaborators.
- You can view how your choices change the language of the agreement by clicking on the icon from the toolbar.
- Complete the last section/tab of your agreement and click on to save your changes.
9) Take a moment to review your proposed terms and then click on "Send" to propose your agreement to your collaborators for their review/input.
10) Your collaborator will review your agreement and will be able to accept your terms or propose new ones. The next time you open your agreement from your dashboard, you will see the following options:
Read more about agreements:
- How do I propose changes to an agreement?
- How do I view all of the proposed changes to an agreement?
- How do I invite an attorney to review my agreement?
- What is a redline?
- How do I accept a change to the text of an agreement (redline)?
11) If there are no further changes, you will need to finalize your agreement so that your collaborators can sign it.
Click to allow you and your collaborators to sign the agreement. Once this happens, you will not be able to edit this agreement further.
12) Sign your agreement.
To sign your agreement, choose "Sign" as your status update.
13) Sign your name in the popup window that appears to add your signature to this agreement.
You can type your signature, draw your signature, or upload an image of your signature to sign your agreement. After signing, click on "Exit" to save your signature.
We recommend that you download your agreement by clicking on "Agreements" from the main menu after it has been fully signed - it will have all of the signatures, names, and addresses of your entire team. Agreements can be deleted if you accidentally delete a team or if one of your collaborators deletes the agreement, so you should download each one for your own records.