In this short guide, we will walk you through the basics of creating a work for hire agreement. Let's get started!
What is a work for hire agreement?
A work for hire agreement is an agreement between you and an independent contractor that is providing services for you in connection with the creation of your copyrights. It clearly establishes your ownership of the content created. A work for hire agreement also outlines the scope and terms of the work and services to be done, including responsibilities, payment terms, credit, dispute resolution and more.
How to create a work for hire agreement:
1) Login to your Cosynd account and click on "Create a New Agreement" on your dashboard.
2) Tell us what kind of copyright this agreement will cover.
3) Provide the title of your copyright and choose a more specific copyright type.
4) Tell us who you have created your copyrights with. Organize yourself and your collaborator into a new team or select an existing team.
Note: A work for hire agreement can only include 2 collaborators - you and one other contributor. If your collaborator wants to sign your agreement on behalf of their company, they will need to follow these directions before you add them to your team.
- If you will be signing this agreement on behalf of a company, be sure to check the box marked "I will sign on behalf of a company" in your profile before starting this process.
Read more about teams:
5) Select "Start a new work for hire agreement."
Read more about agreement types:
6) Click on "Agreement name" to name your agreement.
7) We'll walk you through customizing your agreement - just answer a few questions for us. You can follow along by viewing how your choices affect the actual agreement text instantly!
- Click to complete each tab of questions. Your answers will be used to build the terms of the agreement that will be proposed to your collaborators.
- You can view how your choices change the language of the agreement by clicking on the icon from the toolbar.
- Complete the last section/tab of your agreement and click on to save your changes.
8) Take a moment to review your proposed terms and then click on "Send" to propose your agreement to your collaborator for their review/input.
9) Your collaborator will review your agreement and will be able to accept your terms or propose new ones. The next time you open your agreement from your dashboard, you will see the following options:
Read more about agreements:
- How do I propose changes to an agreement?
- How do I view all of the proposed changes to an agreement?
- How do I invite an attorney to review my agreement?
- What is a redline?
- How do I accept a change to the text of an agreement (redline)?
10) If there are no further changes, you will need to finalize your agreement so that your collaborators can sign it.
Click to allow you and your collaborators to sign the agreement. Once this happens, you will not be able to edit this agreement further.
11) Sign your agreement.
To sign your agreement, choose "Sign" as your status update.
12) Sign your name in the popup window that appears to add your signature to this agreement.
You can type your signature, draw your signature, or upload an image of your signature to sign your agreement. After signing, click on "Exit" to save your signature.
We recommend that you download your agreement by clicking on "Agreements" from the main menu after it has been fully signed - it will have all of the signatures, names, and addresses of your entire team. Agreements can be deleted if you accidentally delete a team or if one of your collaborators deletes the agreement, so you should download each one for your own records.