In this short guide, we will walk you through the basics of creating a simple split sheet agreement. Let's get started!
What is a split sheet agreement?
A split sheet agreement is a short document that lists all of the parties that are involved in the creation of a work (your content) and the percentage of that work that they each own. Split sheets are a simple and easy way to document ownership of your content and to avoid ownership disputes in the future. It’s particularly helpful to have this in place before you start earning income from your content.
How to create a split sheet agreement:
1) Login to your Cosynd account and click on "Start New Agreement" on your dashboard.
Tell us what kind of content you have created and give your creation a name.
Read more about work types:
2) Tell us who you have created your content with. Organize yourself and your collaborators into a new team or select an existing team you've worked with before.
Read more about teams and collaborators:
- What is a team?
- How do I create a new team?
- Who should I add to my team?
- How do I add a collaborator to my team?
- How do I change a collaborator's details?
3) Select "Start a new ownership agreement."
Read more about agreement types:
- What types of agreements can I create with Cosynd?
- How to create a premium ownership agreement.
- How to create a work for hire agreement.
4) Enter the information we need to complete your split sheet.
- Click on "Agreement Name" to name your split sheet
- Click on each of your collaborator's names to enter copyright split percentages for each person. The total cannot exceed 100%
- If you plan on working with a particular collaborator frequently you can assign a default split to them by checking the "default" box. By doing so, Cosynd will automatically assign that ownership percentage to that collaborator in all future agreements you have with them. You won't have to enter this information again whenever you work with that collaborator.
5) Take a moment to review your proposed agreement and click on "Send" to send it off to your team for their review/input. We'll walk you and your collaborators through finalizing the agreement and signing it!
6) Cosynd will notify you when your collaborators have agreed to your terms or proposed alternatives. With their feedback, you can finalize the terms of the agreement for signing.
From your dashboard under "Agreements," open your agreement. Cosynd will ask you if you want to finalize the agreement with the original splits you chose or if you want to adjust the splits. If you decide to change the splits, follow these steps:
1) Click on "Adjust My Proposal."
2) Enter the split ownership percentages for each collaborator that you want to finalize.
3) Click on "Continue" to save the changes.
Scroll down to the very end of this page and click "next" to save your progress.
Read more about agreements:
- How do I propose changes to an agreement?
- How do I view all of the proposed changes to an agreement?
9) You will be presented with the full draft of your agreement that includes the splits you chose to finalize.
Here, you and your collaborators can invite attorneys to review/redline your agreement if you wish to. If not, skip to step 10.
- How do I invite an attorney to review my agreement?
- What is a redline?
- How do I accept a change to the text of an agreement (redline)?
10) If there are no further changes, you will need to finalize your agreement so that your collaborators can sign it.
Click on "Finalize Now" to allow you and your collaborators to sign the agreement. Click on "next" to complete the finalization.
Read more about agreements:
11) Sign your agreement.
To sign your agreement, choose "Accepted" as your status update.
A popup window will appear that will allow you to sign your agreement. You can type your signature, draw your signature, or upload an image of your signature to sign your agreement. After signing, click on "next" to save your signature.