In this short guide, we will walk you through the basics of creating a producer agreement. Let's get started!
What is a producer agreement?
A producer agreement outlines the scope and terms of work to be completed by a producer to create your music. This agreement is typically used when the Producer will not be a co-owner of your sound recordings. The agreement allows you to state whether or not the producer will also own a share of your compositions.
How to create a producer agreement:
1) Login to your Cosynd account and click on "New Agreement" on your dashboard.
2) Select "Music".
3) Provide the title of your copyright and choose "Sound Recording" as your work type.
4) Tell us who you have created your copyrights with. Organize yourself and your collaborator into a new team or select an existing team.
Note: A producer agreement can only include 2 collaborators - you and one other contributor. If your collaborator wants to sign your agreement on behalf of their company, they will need to follow these directions before you add them to your team.
- If you will be signing this agreement on behalf of a company, be sure to check the box marked "I will sign on behalf of a company" in your profile before starting this process.
Read more about teams:
5) Select "Producer Agreement" from the options below.
Read more about agreement types:
6) Click on "Agreement name" to name your agreement.
7) We'll walk you through customizing your agreement - just answer a few questions for us. You can follow along by viewing how your choices affect the actual agreement text instantly!
- Click to complete each tab of questions. Your answers will be used to build the terms of the agreement that will be proposed to your collaborators.
- You can view how your choices change the language of the agreement by clicking on the icon from the toolbar.
- Complete the last section/tab of your agreement and click on to save your changes.
8) Take a moment to review your proposed terms and then click on "Send" to propose your agreement to your collaborator for their review/input.
9) Your collaborator will review your agreement and will be able to accept your terms or propose new ones. The next time you open your agreement from your dashboard, you will see the following options:
Read more about agreements:
- How do I propose changes to an agreement?
- How do I view all of the proposed changes to an agreement?
- How do I invite an attorney to review my agreement?
- What is a redline?
- How do I accept a change to the text of an agreement (redline)?
10) If there are no further changes, you will need to finalize your agreement so that your collaborators can sign it.
Click to allow you and your collaborators to sign the agreement. Once this happens, you will not be able to edit this agreement further.
11) Sign your agreement.
To sign your agreement, choose "Sign" as your status update.
12) Sign your name in the popup window that appears to add your signature to this agreement.
You can type your signature, draw your signature, or upload an image of your signature to sign your agreement. After signing, click on "Exit" to save your signature.
We recommend that you download your agreement by clicking on "Agreements" from the main menu after it has been fully signed - it will have all of the signatures, names, and addresses of your entire team. Agreements can be deleted if you accidentally delete a team or if one of your collaborators deletes the agreement, so you should download each one for your own records.